Friday, August 7, 2015

Lauki (Bottle Gourd) ki subji.

I always wondered how the Lauki ki subji made by some of my  North Indian friends, which they uniformly say is simple and nothing to it, was so tasty. No masala, just a little jeera and laal mirch and dhaniya powder that's all. Finally decided to try it out. And yes, indeed it is simple, there's nothing to it, and yes, even if I say so myself, the subji I made was tasty! Now, Why Did I Wait This Long To Try This Out?

Here's the recipe:

You need:

Lauki/bottle gourd : 1/2 kilo
Dhaniya powder/Coriander Powder: 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder: a pinch
Hing/Asafoetida:  a pinch
Cumin Seeds/jeera : 1/4 tsp
Oil : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste.

This is how you make it:

Peel the lauki, cut into medium sized cubes. Cook till tender with  turmeric and half the salt. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a Kadai (circular, deep cooking pot). Add Jeera, allow to brown, add the Hing, Dhaniya powder, and Chilli powder. Add the cooked lauki, remainder salt, allow to cook for about two minutes. Remove to serving dish. Serve hot with chapatis/phulkas.

Simple, Right?
Enjoy!

No comments: